Tip of the Month
The IMPAX Tip of the Month is written for business development professionals who have learned and are implementing the IMPAX Process (in the form of IMPAX Strategic Account Sales Process, IMPAX Superior Account Management Process and IMPAX Strategic Inside Sales Process, among others). These Tips deal with subjects including Research, Communication and Presentation. For more Tips on dealing with Procurement, interviewing, relationship development, effective presentation delivery and much more, see the Tip of the Month archive and our book, Beyond Selling Value.
Know Their Role
One of the most important things we can learn about the procurement function in a prospect or customer organization is how they are viewed by others in their company. If we can learn the answers to questions like these, we will be better prepared to develop a winning strategy:
- How is Procurement viewed by other people and organizations in the company?
- What is the official name of their function – Purchasing, Procurement, Strategic Sourcing…?
- Are they viewed as strategic in nature or more of a purchasing department?
- How visible are they at senior management meetings?
- Do they have a CPO?
- Who does the leader of Procurement report to?
- What is Procurement’s mandate?
- How visible is their mandate in the company?
- How effective is Procurement at getting resources for their own use (e.g. budget for their own internal training efforts)?
- How well do they understand the various functions of the business?
- Are there clashes with any other functional departments in the company? Which ones? Why?
- Which departments are they most closely involved and aligned with?
- At what point in the typical buying cycle does Procurement get involved?
- What types of buying situations are they always involved in?
- What types of buying situations are they less involved in?
By finding out the answers to these and other questions, we can form a more compelling strategy. The answers can help us figure out if we can work effectively with procurement or if we need to come up with a different approach.
Every month IMPAX provides thousands of sales and account management professionals with a thought leading Tip of the Month. These tips support and expound on the IMPAX Process by addressing topics such as executive presentation delivery skills, powerful gatekeeper strategies and compelling interviewing techniques.
Please fill out the following form to receive your Tip of the Month via e-mail.