Tip of the Month
The IMPAX Tip of the Month is written for business development professionals who have learned and are implementing the IMPAX Process (in the form of IMPAX Strategic Account Sales Process, IMPAX Superior Account Management Process and IMPAX Strategic Inside Sales Process, among others). These Tips deal with subjects including Research, Communication and Presentation. For more Tips on dealing with Procurement, interviewing, relationship development, effective presentation delivery and much more, see the Tip of the Month archive and our book, Beyond Selling Value.
Finding the Win
In the last Tip, we talked about coaches and how important they are to our sales and account management success. We defined a coach as someone who:
- is knowledgeable
- is credible
- is willing to help
- wants us to win
- wins if we win
The key to this definition is that a coach wants us to win because there’s something in it for them.
Makes sense, right? Then why is it so challenging to find these people? One reason is because it’s hard for us to figure out the win, and people will rarely make our job easier by sharing it with us. In fact, they may not even know it themselves. Here are some common types of coach wins:
- resolve an issue/achieve an objective
- gain recognition and/or reward
- gain political advantage
- resolve stress/work less/sleep better
- help someone that they want to win (personal)
So what are some questions we can ask in our research efforts to try to figure out how a person might win when they work with us? Here are a few (these questions assume that there is a specific issue or opportunity identified):
- What impact does this issue have on you/your boss?
- What do you/your department/your company stand to gain if this opportunity is realized?
- How do other key players feel about this situation?
- What does an ideal solution look like?
- When this situation is resolved, how will things be different?
- How would you describe a perfect outcome?
- How will this solution affect you and your day to day job?
- How visible is this project within the organization?
In order to create coach relationships quickly and effectively, we have to find the win. Hopefully these questions, and others you come up with, can help you do just that.
Every month IMPAX provides thousands of sales and account management professionals with a thought leading Tip of the Month. These tips support and expound on the IMPAX Process by addressing topics such as executive presentation delivery skills, powerful gatekeeper strategies and compelling interviewing techniques.
Please fill out the following form to receive your Tip of the Month via e-mail.